7/3/10

THIRD DAY OF MY STUDIO CLEANUP


Yes, I will admit it is a mess!  But, I have made progress.  While going through everything while  organizing and cleaning out, it is funny what I have found.  Luckily,  I relocated some things I had misplaced, most notably my book of Chanel paperdolls!  The bookshelf you see was left in a house my parents bought, and I have carried with me through several moves.  At one point, it had a complete set of Brittanica's in it, as well as old annuals and scrapbooks from my travels.  The boxes you see on the top are pictures from trips.  Everything was cleaned off and only art related material remains.  I organized the books my genre.   Most what is there now are books I use for collage.  They consist of foreign language books, plays, mathmatic books, science books, and ALOT of music.  I made an area to keep my Art in America magazines, as well as instructional books and catalogs from artists that inspire me.

I cleaned out the closet you see.  Joel has some photography stuff in there, and I had about 50 frames from previous show stuff in there.  I cleaned that out entirely.  Then I moved my tablets of paper in there, they had become such an unsightly mess under the flat files.
I'm happy with the way it is turning out.  The little file drawer on the right of the bookcase is full of pens, pencils and pastels.  While they are fairly organized, I still need to go through it.

What is next?
Working counter-clockwise around the studio, this comes next.  I can't wait to get my table built, because all the gesso and medium sitting in the window will go there.  The basket contains my tubes of paint.   I'm still trying to figure out the best way to store them for easy access.  I have kept my paint on a small table arranged like the color chart.  But, that takes up room.  Any ideas?  How do you organize your paint?  

Tomorrow I hope to  begin painting the white part of the walls.  I've been in this house for 13 years and this room has never been painted.  I want to clean the floor too and eventually put a layer of porch paint down on it.  I pulled the carpet up after the floods of September, so there is white blobs where the glue was.  Since I've already spilled paint all over it, I don't want to get carried away with the floor - just clean it up.

Getting a good start on this has got my mind working overtime.  I can't wait to get back to painting because I have so many new ideas and I feel a new series forming in my little brain.

If anyone has a good way they store their paints, I'd be happy to hear about it.  I have to clean them out, as well as my spray paints, and my collage material.  I'm going to take my time and get it cleaned out correctly - not just stuffing things here and there  - as I've done in the past.

2 comments:

Suzanne Clem-Wheeler said...

Looking Great Vickie!

I have plastic drawered storage containers, 12x12 drawers, that I segregate my paint by color groups, w/ metallics & neutrals each as a group. So far it's working fairly well. While they take up some space, you can also use the top as a surface to lay things on that you're working with so it's better than anything with an open top, ie box bottoms, baskets, etc.

You're inspiring!

Vickie said...

thanks - i have thought about drawers - that is a good idea!